Colleges & Applications
Choosing the right college & program
Levels of Study
Before you start researching schools and programs, it’s important to understand the levels of study in Canada. Post-secondary education — that is to say: education completed after high / secondary school — occurs at many different levels. Here are the most common:
- Certificate Program: One year of full-time study, typically. Usually teaching a technical, vocational, or professional set of skills.
- Diploma Program: Two years of full-time study, typically. Similar to a certificate program in that diplomas usually teach students hands-on skills in a specific technical, vocational, or professional area.
- Bachelor’s Degree: Three or four years of full-time study, typically. Often a bachelor’s degree will require two years of general study in a field, followed by one or two years of more specialized study in a focus area, called a ‘major.’
- Postgraduate Diploma or Certificate: After completing a bachelor’s degree, graduates may become eligible for postgraduate diplomas and certificates. These programs are typically one or two years in length and provide further expertise and training.
- Graduate Degree: After completing a bachelor’s degree, students may further their education by completing a Master’s Degree or Doctoral Degree (PhD, for which a completed Master’s Degree is usually a required). These programs are advanced-level education.
Cost of Study
- For International Students the tuition fees may vary from province to institutions but it is cheaper compared to other countries.
- When checking tuition fees on college websites look for fees for international students as it is different for domestic students.
- The tuition fees in colleges and Universities in Canada for international students range from CAD $7000 to CAD $35000 per year.
Canadian Colleges and Universities offer three intakes every year which are:
- Fall Semester – Starts in the month of September
- Winter Semester – Starts in the month of January
- Summer Semester – Starts in the month of May
Pick a College or a University
- The education system and the student lifestyle is best in all provinces and institutions through out Canada. There are a range of quality colleges and universities in Canada; now it’s up to you to find the perfect one to suit your needs and goals.
- At Journey2Canada we understand your dreams and goals, your academic experience and the documents you have. Based on your individual case we will suggest you the right program and college.
- For all of our international student clients we suggest them the following methods to choose the right institution:
- Rankings focused– If you flourish on challenging lectures and research, an academically-focused university could best suit your talents. In that case, your best option might be to scan through university rankings in Canada. Traditionally, three universities top the list: the University of Toronto, McGill University, and the University of British Columbia.
- Location focused – Your future university or college will be your home for the next few years, and maybe longer, so it’s vital to take location into account. When taking location into account ask and find answers to these questions:
- What is the accommodation like?
- What is the student lifestyle like?
- Can you easily find part-time work there?
- What is the student lifestyle like?
- What do student services offer?
- Cost focused – Often, community colleges offer educational programs for a cheaper rate than you might find at a university, especially the big name universities. If you would rather learn from practitioners and gain experience working while you study, maybe a college program with work placements and industry-focused training is a good fit for you.
Pick a Program
- As immigration consultants we can not tell you the right program for you but we can guide you in the right direction.
- There are some important things to ask yourself as you make this decision:
- Do you know what you want to be when you grow up?
- Are there scholarship options?
- How can a study program in Canada help your career goals?
- Where do you want to study?
- Does this program fit your life right now?
- We provide career counselling as a service where our experts will work with you to find the right program, college and career track that will shape your success in Canada or anywhere in the world.
- The eligibility requirements at Canadian colleges and universities may vary, but generally each College and University will require the below mentioned documents:
- Transcripts (Marks Sheets): Most schools will want to look at how you’ve performed in your past academic endeavors. Make sure you look into the process of how to request transcripts from your past schools.
- Educational Credentials Assessment (ECA): An ECA report is a document that assesses the equivalence of a non-Canadian study program by Canadian standards. Some schools may request this. (Be careful! It can take several weeks for an ECA to be processed.)
- Language Abilities: If you are coming from a non-English- or French-speaking country and you’ve never completed studies in English or French before, chances are you’ll have to submit a language test proving that you’ll be able to handle studying in one of Canada’s official languages.
- Essays/Questions: Many university programs ask applicants to write an essay or answer questions about why they want to study at that school. This is one of the few chances to add your personal touch to an application.
When to Apply?
- If you have decided and are sure about the college program, you need to regularly check college websites for application deadlines.
- The application deadlines can be 4-12 months before the start of your semester.
- It also depends upon the college location and ranking as some institutions have waiting list and deadlines months before the intake
- Ensure that you have enough time to apply for the study permit before the start of your semester.
How to Apply?
- Before you apply review the documents checklist by Journey2Canada or get it reviewed by experts at Journey2Canada.
- Once you have all the documents reviewed and you know where you want to apply, its time to get online and apply.
- Visit the admissions page or the program page on the college website to learn more about the application process.
- Get free consultation from Journey2Canada on what you need to do, documents you need and complete application.
How we can help you achieve your dreams of studying in Canada?
From selecting the right college and program to finding the best rates for your flight. The journey2Canada team will be right by your side.
Authorized and Regulated Consultant
You will be assigned an RCIC (Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant).
Job Hunt & Career Guidance
We have partnered with employers in Canada. We will help you figure out your job situation before you move to Canada.
Stress-free, easy & fast process
Our team will dedicatedly work hard to make your journey to Canada easy, fast & stress-free.
Travel, Living & Finance assistance
We will prepare all the necessary travel documents you will need and we will also help in finding a place for you to live during your stay in Canada.
24/7 Consultant Access
You will get 24/7 access to the consultant’s private line throughout your entire journey from the day you decide to the day you arrive.
University & College Applications
Our team of experts will suggest and provide you with the right tools you will need to make your college applications successful.
Are you ready to start your Journey to Canada?
We will work with you and for you in planning, informing, advising and taking the right steps to make things easy and your dreams come true.
Get free one-on-one consultation call with an RCIC
We offer a free 15-minute consultation with a registered immigration consultant where we answer common and general questions about how we can help you in your journey to Canada.
What is Study Permit and Student Direct Stream?
Did you know that with student direct stream program you can get your study permit in just 20 days.
Why should you choose Canada as your study abroad destination?
Canada is one of the leading economies of the world with the best and kindest people on the planet. Find out what makes Canada the great great north!